Following Sunday’s condemnation of the attacks on Israel by more than 300 drones and missiles from Iran and its proxies, including Hezbollah, on the night of Saturday 13 to Sunday 14 April, the Europeans will discuss the situation in the Middle East on Tuesday at ministerial level, then on Wednesday at the level of Heads of State or Government.
Israel threatened to retaliate, and Iran warned that its reaction would be “stronger” in the event of “reckless behaviour” on the part of the Jewish State. Iran says it acted in retaliation for the bombing of an annex of its consulate in Damascus on 1 April, attributed to Israel (see EUROPE 13383/28).
European diplomacy goes into overdrive
On X (formerly Twitter), the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, announced that an extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council would be held in virtual format on Tuesday.
“Our aim is to contribute to de-escalation and security in the region”, explained Mr Borrell.
According to the spokesman for the European External Action Service, Peter Stano, the aim of the meeting will be to assess the new situation following “an unprecedented attack”, as well as the actions to be considered, in addition to what is already being done, to prevent a regional escalation, and could provide an opportunity to discuss the next steps in responding to Iran’s actions. On Sunday, the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, said that the EU would be considering additional sanctions against Iran “in close collaboration with (its) partners, in particular on drone and missile programmes”.
Tensions in the Middle East, including the situation in Lebanon, will also be on the agenda of European leaders on Wednesday evening, according to the President of the European Council, Charles Michel.
According to an Elysée source citing draft European Council conclusions, European leaders could unequivocally condemn the Iranian attack, express their solidarity and support for Israel and reaffirm the EU’s commitment to the security of the Jewish State.
The European Council could also call for stability and avoid any regional escalation. The leaders could also refer to the situation of Syrian refugees in Lebanon and the EU’s continued support for Lebanon’s security and stability. They will also review the situation in Gaza.
EU calls for calm
On Sunday, the European Union, through its High Representative, had already condemned the attack “in the strongest possible terms”, calling it an “unprecedented escalation and a threat to regional security”.
“In this highly tense regional situation, further escalation can be no one’s interest. We call on all parties to exercise utmost restraint”, stressed Mr Borrell, reiterating the EU’s commitment to Israel’s security. According to the High Representative, the EU remains fully committed to contributing to de-escalation and security in the region and remains in close contact with all parties to this end.
Several EU Member States, including Belgium, France and the Czech Republic, have summoned Iranian ambassadors to their countries.
The G7 ready to take action
Also on Sunday, the G7 leaders, in a virtual emergency meeting, condemned the attacks “unequivocally and in the strongest terms”.
“With its actions, Iran has further stepped toward the destabilisation of the region and risks provoking an uncontrollable regional escalation. This must be avoided”, they stressed in a joint statement, announcing that they would continue to work to stabilise the situation and avoid any further escalation.
In this spirit, they demanded that Iran and its proxies cease their attacks. “We stand ready to take further measures now and in response to further destabilising initiatives”, they warned.
The G7 leaders expressed their “full solidarity” and support for Israel and its people, and reaffirmed their commitment to its security. They also promised to step up their cooperation to end the crisis in Gaza, “including by continuing to work towards an immediate and sustainable ceasefire and the release of hostages by Hamas, and deliver increased humanitarian assistance to Palestinians in need”.
The G7 Foreign Ministers, who will be meeting in Capri from 17 to 19 April, are also expected to discuss the situation.
NATO spokeswoman Farah Dakhlallah condemned Iran’s escalation and called for restraint, explaining that it was essential that the conflict in the Middle East did not become uncontrollable. (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant)