Following a dinner hosted by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte in the presence of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, the Presidents of the European Council, António Costa, and the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, on Monday 8 December reiterated the EU’s “unwavering” support for Ukraine as peace talks continue.
“Our funding proposals are on the table. The aim is a strong Ukraine, both on the battlefield and at the negotiating table”, they stressed in a joint message on X. The two leaders also called for Ukraine’s sovereignty to be respected. Ukraine’s territorial integrity is another EU condition.
“Ukraine’s long-term security must be guaranteed as our Union’s first line of defence. These priorities are at the heart of our discussions with the NATO Secretary General”, said Ms von der Leyen and Mr Costa, promising that Europe would continue to contribute to all efforts to achieve a “just and lasting” peace in Ukraine.
Earlier in the day, before travelling to Brussels, the Ukrainian President was in London to meet the German, French and British leaders. At a virtual press conference on Monday, Volodymyr Zelensky said that Ukrainian and European security officials would be working on the latest version of the plan proposed by America after their visit to Moscow. “We’re going to work on these twenty points [of the plan]. We don’t like everything our partners have brought back [from Moscow, ed.]”, he said, adding that the new version could be ready by Tuesday evening and sent to America. The question of territories would be the most problematic.
“Russia doesn’t sit down at the negotiating table, it lets us come; and the starting point is that Ukraine makes concessions and Russia none. We must avoid this trap set by Moscow; we must have confidence in our own abilities and levers. There is no peace plan without the Europeans and the Ukrainians. Without us, it is doomed to failure, and Russia must realise this”, warned EU High Representative Kaja Kallas at a hearing of the European Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs.
Agreement on the financing of Ukraine, António Costa’s top priority. Ukraine will once again be on the agenda of European leaders at their summit on 18 December, as announced by the President of the European Council in his letter of invitation. “Recent developments underline the urgency of EU action”, he stressed in his letter, adding that his “top priority” was to take the important decisions needed on Ukraine’s funding for 2026-2027. Ukraine will need €135 billion over this period. “We will have to decide, based on the ongoing preparatory work, how to implement that commitment”, he explained.
Addressing MEPs, EU High Representative Kaja Kallas warned that the European Council would not be concluded until there was an agreement on funding for Ukraine. “I think we’re very close to a solution. Personally, I’m sure we’ll be making a decision on 18 December. However, if necessary, we will continue discussions on 19 or 20 December, until we reach a positive conclusion”, added Mr Costa at a press conference in Ireland.
Leaders should also consider how best to continue to defend Europe’s interests and strengthen Ukraine’s negotiating position in ongoing diplomatic efforts. “An important part of this strategy is to increase pressure on Russia”, said Mr Costa.
According to Ms Kallas, the EU has “the economic power to push for an end to the war, but it only works if we use it”. “This is why we need to work on the ‘Reparations Loan’ and put in place new sanctions [against Russia]”, she summarised. With regard to the loan, Ms Kallas felt that it would send “a signal to Russia that it will lose in the end” and a clear signal to Ukraine that the Europeans are helping it. “While others question the wisdom of continuing to support Ukraine, or wish to give up, we remain steadfast in our support. We will not repeat in Ukraine what others have done in Afghanistan”, promised Mr Costa from Ireland on Tuesday.
See the invitation letter: https://aeur.eu/f/jwr (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant)