21/10/24 (Agence Europe) – On Monday 21 October, the European Commission said that it was “in contact with the Italian authorities” regarding the ruling handed down on 18 October by an Italian court ordering the return to Italy of 12 migrants from Bangladesh and Egypt, who had previously been transferred to Albania, on the grounds that their countries of origin were not considered safe throughout its territory (see EUROPE 13507/11). The Commission pointed out that the establishment of a common list of safe third countries of origin is a project set out in the Pact on Migration and Asylum, which includes a review of the concept of ‘safe third country’ in 2025. “It is important to have this [common EU list]. We are going to work on it”, said the Commission. The Albanian-Italian model only works for people whose country of origin is deemed safe. The Italian government was due to work on a new decree on 21 October to get round this ruling, according to AFP. (SP)