login
login
Image header Agence Europe
Europe Daily Bulletin No. 13419
EXTERNAL ACTION / Venezuela

EU regrets Venezuela’s decision to withdraw invitation to observe presidential elections in July

The European Union “regrets” the Venezuelan Electoral Council’s decision to withdraw a previously extended invitation to observe the presidential elections on 28 July, and asks them to “reconsider” this decision, the spokesman for the European External Action Service (EEAS), Peter Stano, told Agence Europe in writing on Wednesday 29 May (see EUROPE 13404/22).

According to Mr Stano, the Venezuelan people must be able to choose their president in “credible, transparent and competitive” elections, supported by international observation, “including that of the European Union”.

The spokesman also pointed out that the Barbados agreement reached at the end of 2023 between the Maduro regime and the political opposition specifically stated that the EU would be invited to observe the presidential elections (see EUROPE 13278/33). 

In mid-May, the EU extended until 10 January 2025 the European sanctions targeting Venezuelan personalities and entities supporting Nicolás Maduro’s regime (see EUROPE 13409/39). In a gesture of openness, it withdrew four leaders of the National Electoral Council, including its chairman, Elvis Hidrobo Amoroso, from the list of those sanctioned. Mr Amoroso is said to have seen this initiative as “blackmail” by the EU. (Original version in French by Mathieu Bion)

Contents

EXTERNAL ACTION
SECURITY - DEFENCE
SECTORAL POLICIES
SOCIAL AFFAIRS - EMPLOYMENT
ECONOMY - FINANCE - BUSINESS
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS - SOCIETAL ISSUES
COURT OF JUSTICE OF THE EU
INSTITUTIONAL
NEWS BRIEFS