Heads of state or government, meeting in Brussels on Thursday 21 and Friday 22 March, are expected to call for an “immediate humanitarian pause leading to a sustainable ceasefire” in Gaza, where 70% of the population is said to be at risk of starvation.
According to a senior European diplomat, this issue should be at the centre of the Sherpas’ discussions on Thursday and Friday, but there is already thought to be “broad support” for the latest conclusions. In his invitation letter for the meeting, the President of the European Council, Charles Michel, said on Tuesday that “the brink of inhumanity” had been crossed in Gaza.
According to the draft conclusions dated 19 March obtained by Agence Europe, in view of the “unprecedented loss of civilian lives”, the European Council is expected to say it is “appalled” rather than expressing its “deep concern”, as in a previous draft text on Monday 11 March (see EUROPE 13370/3).
Leaders are expected to call for “[f]ull, rapid, safe and unhindered humanitarian access into and throughout the Gaza Strip via all routes” in order to provide vital assistance to the civilian population.
Faced with the possibility of an Israeli operation in Rafah, the European Council is expected, as previously envisaged, to “urge” Israel to refrain from a ground operation, where over a million Palestinians are crowded together in search of humanitarian assistance. According to the latest draft text, the European Council is to further underline the “devastating humanitarian consequences” that such an operation would cause.
“Immediate measures should be taken to prevent any further population displacement and provide safe shelter to the population to ensure that civilians are protected at all times”, leaders are expected to specify.
The European Council is expected to stress the need to create new land routes and crossing points, welcoming the opening of a sea route from Cyprus (see EUROPE 13369/3) which “supplements” the land routes for delivering humanitarian assistance.
European leaders are to stress the importance of respecting and implementing the legally binding order of the International Court of Justice. “Violations of international humanitarian law need to be thoroughly and independently investigated and accountability ensured”, the European Council is to emphasise.
In this respect, leaders are expected to say they are “appalled” by the latest United Nations findings regarding sexual violence during and after the attacks on 7 October 2023. They are to call on the Council to accelerate work on the adoption of “further relevant restrictive measures” against Hamas. On Monday, the foreign affairs ministers approved the principle of new sanctions against members of Hamas deemed responsible for sexual violence.
Heads of state or government are also expected to discuss UNRWA, particularly during their lunch with the United National Secretary General. According to the 19 March draft, the European Council is to stress that the services provided by UNRWA are “indispensable” and welcome the recent EU measures and financial support provided. It is also expected to reiterate its expectations following the allegations that members of the agency participated in the 7 October attacks. The conclusions on the UN agency are reportedly still being discussed by Member States, some of whom feel that they are too positive in view of the alleged participation of some of its members in the attacks.
The European Council is to also urge Israel to reverse its latest decisions to expand settlements, call for an immediate halt to violence in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, as well as for ensuring safe access to the holy sites. According to the European Council, the perpetrators of the violence must be held to account and the Council must accelerate work on the adoption of relevant targeted restrictive measures. On Monday, ministers gave the go-ahead in principle to the adoption of sanctions against violent settlers.
The European Union will continue to work intensely with its partners to prevent further regional escalation and stands ready to work with Israel, the Palestinian Authority and regional and international parties to contribute to reviving a political process, with a view to a two-state solution.
According to European sources, some delegations feel that the conclusions are too negative towards Israel.
Differences of opinion between Member States on the Middle East have prevented the adoption of European Council conclusions on the subject since October and, during the February Foreign Affairs Council, only 26 Member States had agreed on a common position (see EUROPE 13353/27).
Link to the European Council’s draft conclusions of 19 March: https://aeur.eu/f/bfg (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant and Bernard Denuit with the editorial staff)