The integrated approach to humanitarian aid/development/peace (the ‘triple nexus’ in humanitarian aid jargon) was highlighted by Spain’s Secretary of State for International Cooperation, Pilar Cancela Rodriguez, on Tuesday 21 November, as a priority of the Spanish Presidency of the Council in terms of development policy, a priority that is emblematic of a major problem to be resolved in the war between Israel and Hamas in Palestine.
“In very complex situations, we always need to look at the triple nexus of humanitarian aid, development and peace. Perhaps we need to adopt a much more complex point of view, and perhaps we need to talk about security or political perspectives”, she told the press on her arrival at the meeting of the EU Foreign Affairs Council in its Development format, where she represented EU High Representative Josep Borrell. The latter was in fact absent, contrary to what had been announced (see EUROPE 13296/30).
She also insisted on the importance of the human factor, of putting “people” first in order to obtain a humanitarian pause in Palestine, because “victims are victims” and it is necessary to “help the people who are suffering so much”.
The German State Secretary for Economic Cooperation and Development, Jochen Fasbarth, said he would present to his colleagues the results of the review of all aid programmes for the Palestinians, “the first part of which has been completed” in Germany. Stressing that no anomalies had been detected, he added: “We are continuing our aid to UNRWA in the Gaza Strip and Jordan. For the other territories, the review is still underway, but is nearing completion”.
According to him, the meeting was intended to provide an opportunity to discuss the matter with his colleagues and “draw the necessary conclusions”. At midday, the European Commission announced that it had itself completed the same exercise.
Considering that “the disastrous humanitarian situation of the population in Gaza” was “of course the most important subject” of this meeting, the Belgian Minister for Development Cooperation, Caroline Gennez, insisted on the need to increase not only humanitarian aid, but also access to it beyond the Rafah crossing point. “I urge Israel to open access from Erez and Kerem Shalom”, she declared.
Ms Gennez said that Belgium had already committed a further €4 million to UNRWA and OCHA and was now proposing a further €1 million for medical equipment.
“It is time to end the cycle of violence now and protect innocent civilians”, she declared.
The ministers also had a further exchange of views on the reform of the multilateral development banks and on ‘the triple digital, green and social transition’, as they did in Cadiz in September (see EUROPE 13243/15).
No press conference was held at the end of the works, as planned. (Original version in French by Aminata Niang)