login
login
Image header Agence Europe
Europe Daily Bulletin No. 13292
Russian invasion of Ukraine / Ukraine

Josep Borrell calls on EU Member States to step up their military support

The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, reiterated, on Tuesday 14 November, the urgent need to increase military support for Ukraine. Earlier in the day, he announced that the EU and its Member States had spent €27 billion on military support for Ukraine.

We’re doing a lot, but everyone agrees that we need to do more and faster. Time is measured not only in destruction, but also in loss of life”, he reminded the Defence Council of the EU, stressing that support for Ukraine had to be designed for the long term.

Speaking to the media, Mr Borrell gave an update on the implementation of the European pledge to supply one million artillery shells and missiles to Ukraine within 12 months, i.e. until the end of March 2024.

The target of one million is the political goal that we have set ourselves with the Member States. It’s ambitious, but it remains our goal”, warned Mr Borrell, whereas on his arrival at the Council, the German minister Boris Pistorius had warned that “the million mark (would) not be reached”. “The question of whether a million was ever realistic would actually be the right one. There were those who said ‘be careful, one million is easy to decide’. The money is there, but the production has to be. Unfortunately, these warning voices are right today”, he stressed.

Mr Borrell gave an update on the figures, pointing out that under the first part of the Act in Support of Ammunition Production (ASAP), European armies had provided 300,000 rounds of ammunition and shells from their stocks. He added that at least 180,000 munitions had been ordered under the second phase of ASAP, which involves joint procurement by Member States via the European Defence Agency or ‘framework nations’.

A senior European official pointed out that in addition to these figures, it was necessary to add the orders and deliveries that were eligible for reimbursement from the ‘European Peace Facility’ and those that were made without requesting reimbursement.

What’s more, according to Mr Borrell and the Commissioner for the Internal Market, Thierry Breton, the production capacity is there. The Commissioner explained that European production capacity had increased by 20 to 30% since February. “We will therefore meet our goal of increasing our ammunition production capacity, which is at least one million shells and missiles”, he said, adding that it was up to the Member States to place orders and to ensure that production on their territory was directed first and foremost to Ukraine.

The European defence industry is a major exporter. Around 40% of production is exported to third countries, so it’s not a lack of production capacity. (...) What we need to do is perhaps try to transfer this production to the (number one) priority, namely the Ukrainians”, added Mr Borrell.

On their arrival at the EU Council, several ministers pledged to continue supplying ammunition to Ukraine. “We will do our utmost to deliver shells, the Ukrainians need them”, promised the Estonian Minister Hanno Pevkur, arguing that the EU could not say that it could not produce shells when Russia was producing “more than ever” and receiving shells from North Korea, which was also producing them.

Ammunition is just desperately needed, so we have to do everything we can to make sure that they get it as soon as possible and as much as possible, and at the same time, above all, we have to think about the continuation capability of Ukraine”, explained the Dutch Minister, Kajsa Ollongren.

Asked about progress in discussions on his proposal for a Ukraine component in the four-year, €20 billion ‘European Peace Facility’, Mr Borrell said that negotiations were taking place within the framework of budgetary discussions. “The defence ministers are not reticent, but we need a global envelope”, he explained, while the Commission has also proposed a €50 billion facility.

The High Representative also called for the adoption of the 8th tranche of the €500 million ‘European Peace Facility’ for Ukraine, which has been blocked by Hungary. The day before, the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, Catherine Colonna, had said that she did not understand “the continued obstruction by a Member State”, which she described as “ unjustified”. (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant)

Contents

Russian invasion of Ukraine
SECURITY - DEFENCE
SECTORAL POLICIES
EXTERNAL ACTION
FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS - SOCIETAL ISSUES
SOCIAL AFFAIRS - EMPLOYMENT
ECONOMY - FINANCE - BUSINESS
INSTITUTIONAL
NEWS BRIEFS
Kiosk