The High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, expressed doubts, on Monday 5 September, about the possibility of reaching a quick agreement on the nuclear programme, whereas he had been rather confident last week (see EUROPE 13011/27).
After initial “reasonable” comments by Iran and the US, the Iranian response to the US comments was reportedly unsatisfactory.
“I'm sorry to say that I’m less confident today (Monday) than 28 hours before about the convergence of the negotiation process and the prospect of closing the deal right now”, he told a press conference.
“The last interaction is not converging. The positions did not come closer together. I am very worried”, explained Mr Borrell, recalling that if they did not converge, “the whole process (was) in danger”.
Regarding the latest response received, “if the purpose is to close a deal quickly, it is not going to help”, he said, without giving further details.
Mr Borrell said he was continuing to consult with participants, in particular the US, on how to proceed. (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant)