Brussels, 25/09/2014 (Agence Europe) - On Wednesday 24 September, human rights activists from Bahrain called on the EU member states to stop their policy of “double standards” towards Bahrain. The president of the Bahrain Center for Human Rights, Nabeel Rajab, who had been invited to the European Parliament, stated that the EU should make it clear to the Gulf countries, including Bahrain, that being rich and having oil did not mean having the right to breach human rights. “The behaviour of certain member states makes them think that this is the case”, Rajab said, criticising the fact that “many countries seem to have a normal relationship - including economic - with Bahrain”. “There are many values in Europe and guidelines on human rights, but these guidelines are not respected by some countries when it comes to trade relations with Bahrain”, he stated. “There shouldn't be any trade with a country that breaches human rights”, he added. Sayed Alwadaei, from the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy, and Rajab denounced in particular the UK's sales of arms to Bahrain.
Rajab criticised the “double standards” of many countries' foreign policies because “too many people are paying the price of this double standard”. “The international community has abandoned our efforts for democracy and human rights because of the interests [of these countries], the sales of arms and of oil”, he said. “We need the international community's attention”, he stated. Having just spent two years in prison, Rajab reiterated that his country, which has one million inhabitants, also has 4,000 political prisoners.
While, in the view of a representative from the European External Action Service, Antonis Alexandris, it is “important to participate in the next elections, otherwise it will be a vicious circle”, Rajab stated that these elections in November were not the priority. “The country must go through a process of reconciliation, of confidence-building measures. These are the political priorities and not the organisation of elections if half the opposition that launched the movement [for more democracy] is in prison when the country is divided”, he said. Rajab has called for the government and opposition to sit around the table and talk, to “come together in order to be able to end this crisis”.
According to Alexandris, the “only route open to Bahrain is the reform route”. Michael Mann, the spokesperson for High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Catherine Ashton, underlined that the EU had called for the release of the “people arrested for peaceful political activities” and for the implementation of a “constructive and inclusive dialogue that responds to the legitimate aspirations of all Bahrainis”. The EU has “always encouraged the government to protect the universal rights of freedom of expression and assembly” and called for “all elements of society to engage in the peaceful expression of their political opinions” (our translation throughout). (CG)