login
login
Image header Agence Europe
Europe Daily Bulletin No. 10305
THE DAY IN POLITICS / (eu) eu/egypt

EU27 call for free and fair elections

Brussels, 31/01/2011 (Agence Europe) - Demonstrations in Egypt are increasing pressure on President Hosni Mubarak, calling on him to leave office and allow democracy in the country, and on Monday the EU took a middle approach, not calling publicly for Mubarak to step down but calling on the authorities currently in power to introduce a “broad-based government” to manage the country's transition to democracy and work towards the holding of “free and fair elections”. In a conclusions document adopted on Monday 31 January, the Foreign Affairs Council recognised the “legitimate, democratic aspirations” of the Egyptian population, saying that Egyptian authorities should listen to them and take urgent, tangible and decisive measures in answer. To this end, the EU “urges the Egyptian authorities to embark on an orderly transition through a broad-based government leading to a genuine process of substantial democratic reform with full respect for the rule of Law, human rights and fundamental freedoms. This should “pave the way for free and fair elections” and lead to a “democratic, pluralist and stable Egypt”, say the EU foreign ministers. They point out that the EU is prepared to help the country achieve this.

Diplomats explain that calling for President Mubarak to step down would amount to direct interference in Egyptian affairs and would not have won unanimous agreement at the Council. Speaking to reporters before the start of Monday's meeting, Catherine Ashton said that it was for the Egyptians to decide on their own future. This view was supported by most of the foreign ministers, like Germany's Guido Westerwelle, who told reporters that the EU was taking sides but was committed to democracy, freedom of thought and human rights and everything else was a matter for dialogue and decision in Egypt itself.

Ashton calls for immediate dialogue with the opposition. Arriving at the Council, High Representative Catherine Ashton called on President Mubarak and his government to immediately enter dialogue with the opposition to introduce genuine reform and meet the demands on the street. “There needs to be a peaceful way forward and an open and serious dialogue with the opposition parties and all parts of civil society and we believe it needs to happen now”, she told reporters. “The legitimate grievances of the Egyptian people should be responded to. Their aspirations for a just, for a better future should be met with urgent, concrete and decisive answers and with real steps”, she added. “The EU has, at its heart, democracy, the rule of law, human rights - these are our values and we believe these must be respected by the Egyptian authorities”, she stated, calling on the Egyptian authorities to “show restraint”. Ashton also called for the release of all peaceful demonstrators who had been arrested. (H.B./transl.fl)

Contents

THE DAY IN POLITICS
GENERAL NEWS
ECONOMIC INTERPENETRATION
WEEKLY SUPPLEMENT