On Thursday 29 August, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Josep Borrell, announced that he had proposed that the Member States adopt sanctions against certain Israeli ministers.
“I have initiated the procedure in order to ask Member States if they wish, if they deem it appropriate, to include certain Israeli ministers on our sanctions list”, he explained on his arrival at the informal EU Council meeting in Brussels, later specifying that it concerned two ministers. These are the Israeli Minister for National Security, Itamar Ben Gvir, who earlier this week proposed the establishment of a synagogue on the Temple Mount, and the Finance Minister, Bezalel Smotrich. According to Mr Borrell, these ministers have launched “messages of hatred” against the Palestinians and proposed things that “clearly run counter to international law and constitute incitement to commit war crimes”. He also described as “worrying” and “unacceptable” the call by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Israel Katz, to displace the population of the West Bank and described Ben Gvir as an “extremist” minister.
“The EU must have no taboos when it comes to using its toolbox to ensure respect for humanitarian law”, the High Representative added.
Stressing that the decision rested with the Member States, Mr Borrell acknowledged that there was no unanimity among the ministers, while adding that work would continue at a technical level.
On his arrival at the EU Council, the Irish Minister, Micheál Martin, supported Mr Borrell’s proposal. “We will support Josep Borrell’s recommendation for sanctions against settler organisations in the West Bank that facilitate settlement expansion, as well as against Israeli ministers”, he stressed. Several foreign ministers - including Belgium’s Hadja Lahbib, Spain’s José Manuel Albares and Sweden’s Tobias Billström - said they were in favour of additional measures against violent settlers, but did not comment on the ministers. “Theoretical recognition of Palestine and sanctions against Israeli ministers are not how this problem will be solved”, said Italy’s Antonio Tajani.
Using the Association Agreement and Council to hold talks with Israel
Mr Albares and his Irish counterpart, Micheál Martin, also reiterated that the EU should use the EU Council and the EU/Israel Association Agreement to discuss the situation.
The former denounced the “unacceptable” level of violence in Gaza and the West Bank. “We must use all the measures available, including the Association Agreement, to achieve peace and compliance with the binding decisions of the International Court of Justice (ICJ)”, Mr Albares emphasised.
According to Mr Martin, the opinion of the International Court of Justice reinforces the decision by Spain and Ireland to convene a new meeting of the Association Council “and, in particular, to highlight the fact that the human rights clauses of this [Association- ed.] Agreement are not being respected”. “It is very clear that States now have obligations in terms of engagement with Israel regarding the occupied territories, in particular not to do anything that would support this illegal occupation of the Palestinian territories”, he added.
Call for an end to violence
On X, the European Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid, Janez Lenarčič, issued a statement from the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, calling on Israel and Member States, “in particular those with influence, to put an end to attacks by Israeli security forces, settler violence and the forcible transfer of Palestinians to the occupied West Bank”.
“Perhaps (some ministers) aren’t interested in a solution in Gaza because any return to calm would make it more difficult for them to continue their settler programme in the West Bank?”, asked Mr Borrell.
According to the UN, since the start of the war in Gaza in October 2023, at least 637 Palestinians have been killed in the West Bank by the Israeli army or settlers.
Agreement for a high-level meeting in New York
The High Representative also announced that he had obtained agreement for a new high-level meeting on the Middle East alongside the UN General Assembly at the end of the month in New York. According to him, the Arab countries and the United States have already confirmed their participation. (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant with Mathieu Bion)