A few days after their extraordinary European Council meeting on the Middle East, European leaders are due to return to the subject and examine the progress made in various areas of action and the monitoring of the situation.
In his letter of invitation, the President of the European Council, Charles Michel, said that the leaders should “first discuss how to urgently ensure the efficient delivery of humanitarian aid and access to the most basic needs”.
According to a draft set of conclusions dated 24 October - conclusions that are the subject of “difficult discussions”, according to a senior European official - the European Council could call for a humanitarian pause in the conflict.
“The European Council expresses its gravest concern for the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Gaza and calls for continued, rapid, safe and unhindered humanitarian access and aid to reach those in need through all necessary measures including a humanitarian pause”, the draft conclusions state.
The idea of ‘humanitarian pause(s)’ - in the singular or plural - could be the subject of debate among leaders. At the ‘Foreign Affairs’ Council on Monday 23 October, the ministers were unable to reach agreement (see EUROPE 13277/1).
While German minister Annalena Baerbock raised the possibility on Tuesday of a “humanitarian window”, the Czech Republic and Austria - whose leaders were in Israel on Wednesday - are said to be the most resistant to this notion.
Several European sources have said that the most important thing, rather than words, is to get the message across that humanitarian aid must be able to reach the population. “What is important is humanitarian access and helping those who need it”, summed up a senior European official, adding that “the way you achieve this is where your values meet reality”. “There is a lot of work to be done on how to combine unhindered and continuous access to humanitarian aid, water, electricity and healthcare, without this conflicting with Israel’s right to fight terrorists. It is this formula that is being sought - it is not simple - and it has led to the current debate, but that does not mean that there is a fundamental disagreement”, explained a European diplomat. He added that the Europeans were building their conclusions on what had been said in the EU statement to the UN Security Council the previous day, on the need for humanitarian pauses and corridors.
One diplomatic source expressed concern that a humanitarian pause could allow Hamas to recover what it needs and attack Israel again in the future. The source pointed out that Hamas was continuing to send rockets into Israel.
In addition, according to the draft conclusions, the EU will work closely with its partners in the region to protect civilians, support those seeking shelter or to provide assistance and facilitate access to food, water, medical care, fuel and shelter, according to the European Council. “How can we make a practical difference” to the arrival of humanitarian aid? - asked one European official.
The leaders will also condemn “in the strongest possible terms” all violence and hostilities against civilians.
The draft conclusions also reaffirm the leaders’ declaration of 15 October and reiterates Europe’s condemnation in the strongest possible terms of Hamas for its brutal and indiscriminate terrorist attacks across Israel. “The use of civilians as human shields by Hamas is a particularly deplorable atrocity”, the European Council will make clear, and will also call for the immediate release of all hostages, without any preconditions.
The Heads of State or Government will also “strongly” emphasise Israel’s right to defend itself in line with international law and international humanitarian law. They may discuss the French President’s idea of an anti-Hamas coalition modelled on the anti-ISIS coalition.
The leaders are also expected to discuss ways of avoiding a conflagration in the region. In his letter of invitation, Mr Michel hopes that the Europeans will engage “in a united and coherent front with their partners, to avoid a dangerous regional escalation of the conflict”. According to the draft summit conclusions, the European Council should note “the need to avoid regional escalation and to engage with partners in this respect including with the Palestinian Authority”.
It will also note that the EU is ready to contribute to the revival of a political process based on the two-State solution, including through the Peace Day effort, an initiative launched in September by the EU High Representative (see EUROPE 13253/30). “The EU welcomes diplomatic initiatives such as an inclusive Peace Summit initiated by Egypt”, the draft conclusions add.
See the European Council's draft conclusions of October 24: https://aeur.eu/f/99d (Original version in French by Camille-Cerise Gessant with editorial staff)