Brussels, 15/02/2013 (Agence Europe) - The conclusion of the EU-Morocco fisheries agreement is close at hand, says the Spanish Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Environment, Miguel Arias Canete. He told the media of his country on Sunday 17 February that he hoped that the sixth round of negotiations will have better results than the fifth, which took place on 11 and 12 February and focused on the issue of financial compensation.
“A number of differences” continue to exist, the Minister acknowledged, but he remains optimistic, particularly in view of his recent long conversation with his Moroccan opposite number in Agadir last week. He also told the Spanish news agency Europapress that he will then meet the European Commissioner for Industry, no doubt to secure more attractive concessions for Morocco in favour of its processing industry.
In any case, he hopes that the next round of negotiations will be “definitive” and make it possible to settle the question of compensation. No figures have been officially mentioned, but the Moroccan press revealed that the sums discussed are believed to fluctuate between €25 and €38 million.
At the same time, Morocco signed a fisheries agreement - its sixth - with Russia on Thursday 14 February, which, the Moroccan press reports, provides for a considerable increase of the financial compensation. According to the Moroccan news agency MAP, the annual compensation to be paid by Russia has been increased by 100% against a 40% increase in catch. (FB/transl.fl)