Brussels, 07/05/2010 (Agence Europe) - On the day after the visit by US Vice-President Joe Biden to Brussels and the European Parliament's plenary session adoption of a resolution on Swift, many MEPs have expressed the view that the EU is approaching the forthcoming negotiations with the United States in the correct manner. On Wednesday 5 May, Parliament drew its lines in the sand with regard to an agreement on the transfer of banking data for the purposes of combating terrorism (see EUROPE 10133). Parliament is calling, inter alia, for the data to be used exclusively for anti-terrorism purposes, for consideration be given to the bulk transfer of data so that things may be done in a more targeted way, for legal appeals be built in, for data be retained for as short a time as possible, and for there to be reciprocity in exchanges. “The United States is now fully aware of our concerns. Joe Biden showed that he has understood the message and is determined that it is in America's interest to work with us rather than alone to defeat terrorism without undermining the basis of our free and open society,” said Jeanine Hennis-Plaesschaert (ALDE, Netherlands), rapporteur on the issue. On Thursday 6 May, Biden said that the Obama administration was aware of the need to protect the fundamental rights of European citizens just as much as those of US citizens 'see EUROPE 10134). “The Vice-President's speech struck the right tone and message of an administration that is willing to listen and not just lecture,” she added. “Both sides agree on the imperative of reaching a mutually acceptable agreement as soon as possible to plug the current vacuum,” Hennis-Plaesschaert said, pointing out that the European Parliament “cannot be complicit” in any agreement that goes against European law. “The negotiating process is on the right track: the European Parliament is finally involved in the negotiations and its requests are largely included in the mandate,” said EPP MEPs Ernst Strasser (Germany) and Simon Busuttil (Malta). “The European Commission has been forced to pledge to negotiate a new and improved deal taking into account our requests,” stated MEPs from the S&D Group. “With today's (plenary session) vote, we have clearly told the European Commission that we will only accept a deal which ensures European overseeing of the transfer of data as well as extraction and use,” the S&D Group said. Hélène Flautre (Greens/EFA, France) recognised that there had been “some positive progress” on how long data could be stored and the right to appeal. However, she said that the bulk transfer of data was “a threat to fundamental liberties”. “As negotiating partners, the Commission and the US administration must not strike an agreement that is the same as the first in substance. The key point here is the bulk transfer of European citizens' financial data to third country soil. Parliament should be very clear in refusing this, and should seek other solutions to enable the fight against terrorism,” argued Portuguese MEP Rui Taveres (GUE/NGL). Formal negotiations are likely to begin on 10 May. (B.C./transl.rt)