login
login
Image header Agence Europe
Europe Daily Bulletin No. 9792
GENERAL NEWS / (eu) eu/jha council

Still serious terrorist threat in Europe, says Alliot-Marie

Brussels, 27/11/2008 (Agence Europe) - On Thursday 27 November, French Home Affairs Minister Michèle Alliot-Marie called on Europe to draw lessons on combating terrorism from the attacks in Mumbai. “Terrorism has been a constant and serious threat in Europe for six years now,” she said after a meeting with her European counterparts. “Most terrorist attacks have not, thank goodness, been within our borders. We are quite well protected in that we have managed to dismantle terrorist networks, but we are never fully protected,” she added. “Make no bones about it, there is no foolproof protection against an attack on the planet as a whole,” the minister said. After this latest attack, “I hope that some in the EU will be less obstructive when we propose protection or detection measures,” she went on. This remark was directed at the European Parliament which is against, for example, plans for a “European PNR”, a diplomat said. Last week, the Parliament expressed its serious doubts over the added value of such a system (see EUROPE 9787, and also related article).

Ministers adopted conclusions on continuing counter terrorism discussions on the basis of the work carried out by the EU anti-terrorism coordinator Gilles de Kerchove. Member states were also called on to continue their action against radicalisation, through the “Check the Web” project. Council also encouraged member states to use the guide prepared by France to tackle the issue of radicalisation in prisons. Other issues were discussed, such as the safety of explosives, NRBC (nuclear, radiological, biological and chemical) threats and Europol. The Council also adopted a series of conclusions on combating terrorism and organised crime. Member states were asked to consider setting up an automated early detection mechanism - comparing information available as part of the procedure for delivering visas and in the Schengen Information System. The European Commission is due to produce a report on the measures taken by member states to help law and order agencies better identify mobile phone users using prepaid SIM cards. After an assessment, and if it turns out that these measures do not ensure the traceability of phone users, the Commission will be expected to propose legislative measures. The Council also adopted conclusions on concrete measures for fighting cyber crime: in the short term, a European platform for highlighting offensive or criminal activity on the internet, cyber patrols and the elaboration of a European model agreement for cooperation between law enforcement services and private operators. Civil protection: the presidency informed the Council about the “Var 2008” exercise in France on 4-6 November, which allowed for the EU's capacity to be tested on preventing and responding to disasters. It adopted conclusions calling for reinforced civil protection capacities through a European system of mutual assistance based on the civil protection modular approach. Conclusions on European training for disasters were also decided, as well as conclusions on fostering relations between the EU and UN on responding to disasters. The Council adopted conclusions on preventing and fighting the illegal trade in cultural goods and other conclusions on the coordination of security forces' action for improving safety on the roads. It is important to note that the Council formally adopted the framework decision on data protection for police and legal cooperation in criminal matters. (B.C./trans/rt/rh)

Contents

A LOOK BEHIND THE NEWS
THE DAY IN POLITICS
GENERAL NEWS