01/02/2013 (Agence Europe) - EU welcomes signing of a protocol on war crimes between Belgrade and Sarajevo. In the evening of Thursday 31 January, European Commissioner for Enlargement Stefan Füle welcomed the signing of a protocol earlier that day between Bosnia-Herzegovina and Serbia on the voluntary sharing of information about, and proof of, war crimes. On the social network Twitter, Füle said that this was a “major step in strengthening regional cooperation”. The protocol's entry into force should enable contact between the public prosecutors' offices - which is already regular and productive - to be consolidated, said the director general at DG Enlargement, Stefano Sannino. The finalisation of the protocol is also the result of a recommendation on EU/Bosnia-Herzegovina structured dialogue on justice. The protocol was signed at the European Commission and should ensure that war crimes suspects who are using existing legal means to escape justice are brought before the law and sentenced, if found guilty. (CG/transl.fl)